Friday, May 18, 2012

Word on the Street

May 18, 2012

The PGA Golf tour comes to DFW the next two weeks with the Byron Nelson Championship in Las Colinas this week and The Colonial Invitational in Ft. Worth next week. I like golf and I am amazed at the dedication and skill of some of these professional golfers. Like anyone who is dedicated to something, however there is a moment when dedication becomes obligation.

Harvey W. V. Pennick was famous golf instructor who lived for many years in the Austin TX area. He was coaching a woman who went on to win the Texas Amateur Women's Championship. He coached her right up to the minute of her tee time, and at that moment, the woman said to Pennick, "Well, I have to go out and play now". And he replied, "What do you mean, you have to go out and play? You get to go out and play".

Sometimes we forget that the things we are most dedicated to are also our greatest blessings. God gives us so many opportunities, many of which we have asked and prayed for, and yet when things get busy or hectic we turn our blessings into "Have to's".

Look at the following phrases. Which best describes you right now?

"I have to go to work" or "I get to go to work".

"I have to take the children to school" or "I get to take the children to school".

"I have to go to church" or "I get to go to church".

The list could be as long as you want to make it, but it is essential to analyze in regards to our faith. A couple of weeks ago I wrote about Spring Fever and our propensity for letting apathy creep in to our prosperity. God gives us so many blessings, but we must be careful to not take those things for granted.

Is your life full of obligations or blessings?

No comments:

Post a Comment